The Jagaran Media Center (JMC) is a non- governmental organization established in 2000, established and run by journalist from Dalit community. The organization advocates to eliminate caste-based discrimination and create a more equitable, inclusive, and secular society through media mobilization at local, national and international level. JMC has been supporting to enhance the capacity of Dalit Journalists, promoting for inclusive media, both in term of inclusion of Dalit journalists and content for news reporting on Dalit issues. . In addition, JMC has been working for promoting human rights, gender equality and social inclusion, peace and governance, environmental justice and sustainable disaster risk reduction.
JMC has been also advocating and lobbying for inclusive media policy in Nepal. It advocates with media organizations and collaborate with different media organizations of Indigenous people, Women, Madhesi, Muslim and differently able peoples. Recognizing JMC’s contribution, government of Nepal had included JMC representatives as a member of high-level formed to formulate media policy i.e. Inclusive Media Commission and High-level Mass Media Commission.
Jagaran Media Center (JMC) is registered at district Administration Office (DAO), Kathmandu on 8/12/2057 (21st March, 2001). The Registration Number is 813/057/058 (DAO – Kathmandu) and is affiliated with Social Welfare Council (Affiliation Number). It is also registered with the Internal Revenue Office Kathmandu with PAN number 302016077.
- JMC desires a just and equitable society in Nepal
- Mission: JMC has mission to work for ending all forms of discrimination against Dalit and marginalized communities together with other groups to build an equitable society working mainly through mass media.
- To empower Dalit and marginalized people by increasing their access to information, and participation at all level.
- To raise voice against untouchability and all form of discrimination and promote equal and just society through media mobilization, campaign, collaboration, and networking.
- To conduct lobby and advocacy for ensuring Human Rights of Dalit and Marginalized community
- To ensure right to food, health, education, climate changes, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI), economic development, and access to justice.
- To ensure the Dalit and Marginalized communities rights through policy advocacy and academic discourse
- To increase the number of media professional in order to bring Dalit issues in public discourse.
- Campaign for Human Right
- Collaborative work culture
- Freedom of expression
- Scientific culture
- Gender equality
- Democratic values and principles
- Youth engagement